Monday, August 21, 2023

How do you listen to music

I never really thought about that...how you listen. I don't mean like on the radio, or ipod or stereo. I mean when you listen to music, do you listen to the whole thing? or just parts of it? That's still kind of confusing...

OK, 10+ years ago when I was watching American Idol, Keith Urban was one of the judges. He was the first musician I had ever heard talk about music. When someone would audition, he would make comments about their sound or their style and reference other musicians - like, that sounded a lot like how so and so used to sing the blues, or your style is a lot like so and so (a soul singer), etc. And I thought, wow, he's a real fan of music! Not just country music, but all music. That was interesting to me. 

Then, there's my fella. He's always talking about how a song is "well crafted" or how the bass guitar sounds or how the drums sound. I only hear the song as a whole, and the lyrics.

A couple months ago, I was listening to an interview with Vince Gill. He spoke a lot about how he listens to music, as a musician. He said; it's not normal, how I listen to music. I listen to all the pieces of a song...the bass, the rhythm guitar, the fiddle or the banjo, the drums, the piano: and I thought about my fella! That's how he listens too! I think it's because he played an instrument when he was younger. I don't think all musicians are like that though. I always like to listen to people who have a passion for their craft/career/hobby, etc.

No comments: