Tuesday, August 29, 2023

I'm so soft...

...when it comes to animals. Ugh. I can't even watch the dodo stories anymore! I know they always have a happy ending but the pain to get there is just too much for me. 

We, my fella and I, have become bird lovers! I don't even know how many different kinds of birds we get at our feeders. A couple dozen for sure. (side note; Blue Jays are actually brown! We perceive then as blue because of a phenomenon called light scattering) But, I don't love it when the raccoons invade the feeders at night! And I don't love it when the squirrels climb in there either! Sometimes though, I'll let them. Especially if a particular squirrel just keeps coming back after I've scared it off 3 or 4 times! Then I feel like, oh, it must be really hungry! See? I'm soft. It gets worse! 

About a month ago, I was looking out the front window and I saw this little pitiful squirrel. I have one little feeder in the front yard and it was looking for anything yummy that the birds have thrown out. It had really been beat up! Half her tail is gone and her little right foot is all mangled up! She was limping and just kept laying around in the yard. I felt so bad for her. So I left her a little pile of sunflower seeds and peanuts. She likes the sunflower seeds the best 😊😊 Well, it's been a month now and she's still around! Not limping so much, but probably struggling. So we leave her little piles of sunflower seeds every time we notice her out there. I know, I know. It's nature and I shouldn't make her dependant on us for food. I don't care. She's just not going to last that long so what the hell. I'm gonna feed her!






See her little toe, just hanging there? Ouch! She can't use that foot much but she can walk on it now. It's been long enough now that when we see her and take some seeds out, she doesn't run away anymore. Now she waits to see what we're going to do. 

No comments: