Tuesday, May 10, 2011

STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!!!

Last month, Kobe Bryant called a referee a "f"ing faggot on live TV. Even though he apologized right after the game, he was fined $100,000. He was also in big trouble with all sorts of civil rights groups and gay rights groups. I know I might take some heat for this but...SO WHAT?! OK, I get the whole "f" word thing on live TV and yep, he should be able to control his mouth a little better on the court, but...SO WHAT?! People say all kinds of things in the heat of the moment and out of anger that come from frustration, not because they mean it. He was in the middle of a playoff game, tensions were high, he didn't like the refs call and he lost his temper. I know that doesn't make it ok and again, he should be more mature than that. But seriously. Just because he called the ref a faggot doesn't mean he's anti gay for heavens sake! That really torqued my ass. What I actually said was, "that's just retarded". Did they stop teaching, "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" Did they? I call people names (in my head) all the time but it's not because I hate them. Oh yeah, so after I said "that's retarded" I wondered, "what's next, I won't be able to say retarded?"

Uh huh, you guessed it...from Fox Sports:

James apologizes for saying 'retarded'Updated May 10, 2011 6:36 AM ET
BOSTON
LeBron James apologized Monday night for his use of the word "retarded" in a press conference following the Heat's Game 3 loss to Boston on Saturday.
When a reporter asked his teammate
Dwyane Wade whether he felt his foul that led to Celtics guard Rajon Rondo's dislocated elbow was a dirty play, James muttered "that's retarded" with his hand over his mouth, though it was still clearly audible as he was sitting behind a microphone.
The comment drew criticism from the Association of Developmental Disabilities Providers, the Boston Globe reported.
"LeBron James offended millions of people with his use of the 'R'-word," CEO Gary Blumenthal said.
"Aren't we as a society beyond the use of such offensive language as the 'R'-word and other offensive words? There is no difference between racist language, homophobic language and language that insults people with disabilities. It is all offensive and hurtful."


Now, I'm willing to go out on limb here and say that LeBron doesn't hate people with disabilities. I get your point if you're offended but still...all this PC crap has got to stop!!! I bet he would have been in just as much trouble if he had said "that's stupid." Think of all the stupid people who would be offended. Or the people who know someone stupid!

I'm so sick of people getting their shorts in a twist over crap like this. To tell you the truth, I don't care if people are offended. Well, I care that some of them are, but in general, all those people who are "offended" on principle can take a flying leap. If all those folks could spend just HALF their time being offended by things that really matter, wouldn't this country be a much better place? They should be offended that the US ranks near the bottom in education. They should be offended that it's predicted that China's economy will surpass America in 2016. But no. They're crying over a bunch of name calling. That's insane! Hahahahahaha! I'm not even sorry if I just offended you crazy people. So there!

1 comment:

MotorCop said...

I'm just happy not to be a sport star in the limelight! I'd be totally screwed! (My apologies to Home Depot for disparaging your hardware).